Glenridge is one of the few independent Pre Primary schools that has provided over 67 years of quality education to children in the Durban area. Within these 67 years, Glenridge has pioneered a number of innovative programs that have not only benefited the children at the school but also the greater surrounding community. Of interest, is that other schools have subsequently adopted some of these programs. Notable projects are:
- A purpose-built Pre School building which surrounds and overlooks a child friendly outdoor area, specifically designed to promote learning through play.
- Our school was one of the first Pre Schools to embrace the inclusion of children with special needs. This involved accepting facilitators into the school to oversee and guide individual children’s day to day learning.
- There is extensive community involvement and support of neighbouring schools from the Cato Manor area. This involves opening the school for educator workshops, on-site training sessions and donations of educational equipment.
- A highly successful on site teacher training programme accommodating UNISA, Varsity College, Embury College and Edgewood student teachers.
- In keeping with our on-going environmental curriculum, Glenridge is registered as a WESSA ECO SCHOOL and holds the PLATINUM INTERNATIOANL FLAG status.
- Running a fully functional medicinal and food garden, planted each year by the learners under the educator’s/gardening club supervisor’s guidance. Produce is sold to the parents/community by the children as part of our early entrepreneurship programme. Money raised from this is donated to a charity of the children’s choice.
- Ensuring the school grounds are indigenous. An intensive programme of “respecting ones environment” forms an integral part of our curriculum.
- An animal area is used as a teaching tool to encourage a routine of respect towards all living beings and creatures in and around the school environment. This is practiced daily by children and adults respecting themselves and respecting others.
- A culture of recycling has been adopted, and an intensive programme has been undertaken to educate learners about protecting and preserving their environment. The learners are actively involved in identifying various waste forms (paper, plastic, cans and glass) and then understanding the benefits recycling and helping to preserve our environment
- A rain water collection tank has been erected, to assist children in appreciating the importance of water conservation. In turn, this water is used to sustain all our vegetable gardens. Consequent to our drought, the children have brought grey water from home to assist our well nurtured gardens.
- Children benefit from onsite Speech and Occupational Therapy in our multi-purpose room.
The future of Glenridge Pre Primary School is bright and we look forward to many more exciting projects in the years to come.